This set is currently free at the UK Lego store in February if you spend more than £80. It’s a great little freebie to celebrate Chinese New Year.
The New York Toy Fair is currently underway, so there’s a lot of upcoming Lego sets on display. One of those that’s available really soon is The Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition (76105) which goes on sale March 3rd for £119 in the UK and $119 in the USA (terrible UK pricing!). It has 1363 pieces, so that makes it 8.8c/8.8p per piece.
At 25cm high, this is a formidable model, and quite an upgrade from the previous Lego Hulkbuster. Looks like it would make a great display piece or playset.
Here’s the complete Lego press-release with all the details…
Create and show off the mighty Hulkbuster!
Build The Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition, with a punching jackhammer arm and LEGO light brick in the chest, and display it on the platform with attachable robotic construction arms. Includes an Iron Man, exclusive minifigure.
Build and display this superhero toy—a highly detailed LEGO brick version of the Hulkbuster mech, featuring a rotating torso, posable fingers, arms, legs and feet, and glow-in-the-dark elements. Choose from 2 interchangeable left arms, including a jackhammer arm with punching function, and activate the LEGO light brick in the chest. This LEGO Marvel Super Heroes The Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition set also includes a display platform with alternate attachment points for posable robotic construction arms and a desk, plus a new Iron Man Mark 43 exclusive minifigure.
Hulkbuster features a flip-up head, rotating torso, posable fingers, arms, legs and feet, LEGO light brick in the chest, 2 interchangeable left arms—a standard arm or jackhammer arm with punching function and 12 glow-in-the-dark elements.
- Activate the chest light by pressing the button on the Hulkbuster’s back.
- Includes Iron Man Mark 43 exclusive minifigure.
- Platform features a flip-up Hulkbuster information plate, plus 8 alternative attachment points for 2 posable robotic construction arms and a desk with 2 attached computer screen elements and space for the buildable hotrod car and buildable Veronica satellite.
- Clip the spare Hulkbuster arm to either of the robotic construction arms for neat display.
- Also includes a fire extinguisher element.
- Hulkbuster measures over 9” (25cm) high, 3” (10cm) long and 8” (22cm) wide.
- Platform (without attachable arms/desk) measures over 7” (19cm) wide, 8” (21cm) deep and under 1” (2cm) high.
It was rumoured last year that Harry Potter Lego was coming back in 2018 and the first set has been revealed – it’s the 878 piece Hogwarts Great Hall. This is set 75954, it will be released on August 1st and the US pricing is $99 (no UK pricing yet).
It has 10 minfigs, including most of the main characters, and child minifig versions of Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.
Here’s the full Lego press release…
Welcome to magical adventures at the Great Hall at Hogwarts!
Build and recreate magical scenes from the Harry Potter movies with this detailed 4-level LEGO Hogwarts Great Hall play set, featuring a fireplace, benches, tables and reversible house banners, plus a tower with a spiral staircase, potions room, treasure room, sorting hat, Mirror of Erised and lots of assorted magical artefact accessory elements. Includes 10 minifigures and buildable Basilisk and Fawkes creatures, plus Hedwig and Scabbers figures.
Includes 10 minifigures: Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Draco Malfoy, Susan Bones, Professor McGonagall, Professor Quirrell with dual Lord Voldemort face, Hagrid, Albus Dumbledore and Nearly Headless Nick, plus buildable Basilisk and Fawkes creatures, and Hedwig and Scabbers figures.
Features the buildable Great Hall and a tower.
The Great Hall features tables, head table with seats, fireplace, 2 reversible house banners and 4 ‘floating’ candles, food (turkey leg, ice cream and a small cake) brooms, trophy cup and a teapot
The 4-level tower features movable Grand Staircase spiral steps at its base, potions room, treasure room with chest and a turret featuring the Mirror of Erised with changeable pictures and roosting spot for Fawkes.
- Also includes a boat with hanging lantern.
- Place the pupils in the boat and sail to Hogwarts Castle.
- Help Hermione and Susan create magical potions.
- Feast in the Great Hall, then use the sorting hat to select the pupils’ houses!
- Welcome the new students with Hagrid, Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall.
- Use the magic wands to pitch Harry against Draco in the Dueling Club!
- Swoop Fawkes into battle and help Harry battle the giant Basilisk serpent.
- Gaze into the Mirror of Erised with Ron and change the picture.
- Turn Quirinus Quirrell into Lord Voldemort by rotating his head!
- Recreate iconic scenes from the Harry Potter movies.
- Accessory elements include 7 wands, 3 tumblers, umbrella, lantern, broom, sorting hat, cauldrons, potions, candles, 2 wizard brooms, food, trophy, teapot, chest and a spider.
- Build even bigger adventures and combine with 75953 Whomping Willow.
- Hogwarts Great Hall measures over 14” (37cm) high, 6” (17cm) wide and 11” (30cm) deep.
Every Lego fan knows the problem – you start buying the collectable minifig series, you buy a bunch of sets which come with minifigs, and before you know it – you have a big pile of figures that need displaying.
But how do you do it? And how do you do it cheaply?
There are plenty of stores on eBay selling Ikea frames modified with mounting points, but if you have a lot of figures, they not only take up a lot of wall space, but at £60-£70 per frame the costs add up quickly too.
The baseplate could be any size, but I went for the larger one just for space efficiency, but you could use the smaller size depending on how many minifigs you have. I also went for grey, because I think it makes the figs themselves stand out more.
You can get 72 standard minifigs on a single baseplate, which means you need 72 2×2 plates. At 10p each, that means £7.20, but if you can get them via the Pick a Brick Wall at your local Lego store, you might be able to do better than that if you can cram them in a cup (and they cram in well). If you have a lot of baseplates and figures to mount, you’ll likely save a lot by doing that.
Finally, to mount it on the wall, 2 packs of large 3M Command Strips. You’ll get two mounts in each pack, and that then let’s you put one in each corner on the back of the board. That’ll give you a max weight allowance of 7.2Kg, which is plenty when 72 figs will only weigh about 288grams, and the baseplate is 218g. To be honest, you could probably get away with one pack of command strips – but I’m being overly cautious.
That means a final price of just £26.19, or £23.19 if you’re not as worried as me about them falling off the wall.
The downside? Dust. The advantage of putting them in a frame is that they’ll be better protected from the elements, and you won’t have to clean them quite so often. On the other hand, the £50 you’ll save per frame will not only allow you to buy some cleaning equipment (compressed air perhaps), but also let you buy even more minifigs.
I started with all this…
Ship in a Bottle is the next of the Lego Ideas sets to be released. It’s coming on February 1st, at £69.99 in the UK and $69.99 in the USA. It has 962 pieces and is set 21313.
It’s a really unique Lego model, and that’s what’s going to make this popular with collectors. It’s the kind of set that in 10 years time people will wish they’d picked up, because it’s so different from what else is being released.
Here’s the full Lego press release…
Show you are a true craftsman when you create a Ship in a Bottle with LEGO bricks! Build this beautiful ship named ‘Leviathan’, including the captain’s quarters, masts, crow’s nest, sails, flag and 6 cannons. Place it inside the brick-built bottle, featuring a buildable cork and wax seal. Then showcase your nostalgic, nautical creation on the display stand, complete with the ship’s nameplate and a compass with a spinning needle.
- Features a LEGO brick-built bottle, ship and a display stand.
- Bottle features a detailed, buildable cork with NEW wax-seal-style element and over 280 translucent-blue, water-style elements inside.
- Ship features a raised deck at the stern, captain’s quarters, 6 cannons, 3 masts, a crow’s nest and assorted elements including printed sails and the ship’s flag.
- Display stand features the ship’s ‘Leviathan’ nameplate, a built-in ‘compass’ (non-functioning) with detailed compass rose and spinning gold-colored needle, 2 globe elements and gold-colored detailing.
- Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and LEGO designers.
- Bottle on stand measures over 3″ (10cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 3” (10cm) deep.
- Ship measures over 3″ (8cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
The 280 water elements are these 1 stud round pieces…
The effect works, but odd that they would call that out as a bullet point. Unless of course you’re in the market for 280 transparent pieces for one of your own builds.
The 2018 Lego Modular has been officially revealed – and it’s Downtown Diner. Weighing in at 2,480 pcs, it will be available on January 1st (with no VIP early access) for £129.99 in the UK and $169.99 in the USA. As always with the modular range – a very respectable price per piece (ppp).
Here’s the official press release from Lego…
Discover a place where music is on the menu!
Drop in at the LEGO Creator Expert 10260 Downtown Diner, where you’ll discover a healthy portion of fun and surprises. This impressive model features removable building sections for easy access to the detailed interior, which comprises a ground-level 1950s-style diner with a large curved front window, red bar stools, jukebox, counter and an open-plan kitchen.
The mid level has a gym with boxing ring, punching bag and weight training room, while on the upper-level you’ll find a recording studio, complete with vocal booth, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet.
The facade of the building features pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling with a large ‘DINER’ sign. Other external features include arched windows, balconies and a staircase, plus a pink convertible car and a detailed sidewalk, complete with mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and a streetlamp.
This incredible collectible toy has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and charm. Includes 6 minifigures.
- Includes 6 minifigures: a chef, waitress, boxer, rock star, manager and a bodybuilder.
- The 3-level Downtown Diner comes with an array of brick-built details, including a detailed facade with pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling and a large ‘DINER’ sign, external staircase, arched windows, drainpipe, balconies, decorative roofline, opening skylight and a rooftop terrace, plus a detailed sidewalk with a mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and an ornate streetlamp. This set also includes a pink 1950s-style convertible.
- Ground level features 1950s downtown American diner styling with a large curved front window, red barstools, benches, jukebox, candy machine, counter, 2 soda dispensers, and a kitchen with a coffee machine, stove and a cooker hood.
- Mid-level features a gym with a boxing ring, punching bag, weight training room, water dispenser and a wall clock.
- Upper level features a recording studio complete with vocal booth, soundproofed walls, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet.
- Take a ride in the stylish convertible and head for a diner where fast food and music are on the menu.
- Help the chef prepare the fastest food in town while the roller-skating waitress lines up the orders.
- Drop in at the gym for a couple of rounds in the boxing ring or a good workout on the punching bag.
- Open the skylight and eavesdrop on the making of a hit album.
- Accessory elements include roller skates, guitar, golden record award and a buildable barbell.
- Remove the building sections to access the detailed interior.
- New decorated elements include a decorated door, album cover, lots of teal-colored and pink-colored elements, and a dual-face minifigure with singing and smiling expressions.
- Special elements include new flower stalks and flower heads, plus 1×3 ‘jumper’ plates, 2×2 plate with 2 studs and a minifigure torso with boxing gloves.
- Measures over 13” (34cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep.
When we first launched this site, we attempted to do a UK Lego price comparison system within the confines of the WordPress environment that we’re running here. It was done with reasonable success, and became a handy resource as I was out scouring the toy store shelves for my latest purchase.
Over time however, it became difficult to keep the data up to date, and it became even more difficult to present it in a useful, usable way. In the end, we removed it from the site rather than let it languish.
After months of work (to the detriment of everything else), I’m pleased to say that not only is this feature back – but it now has it’s very own site.
Let me introduce you to Brick Digest Deals.
We currently have pricing data for Amazon, Smyths, Toys R Us, Argos and the online Lego store, and are working to get more (although so far the supermarkets don’t seem to want their pricing to be so easily compared).
But more than that, we also have a growing Buyer’s Guide to help you find the perfect set, and are filling in as many sets as we can with our reviews and opinions (many from here, but many never published before). We think this is an excellent site for just browsing sets, seeing related sets, and inspiring your next build. Everything is simple, FAST, and works great on desktop and mobile.
There’s plenty more to come, but we wanted to get this out there now in Beta, while we work on growing it out. I hope you like it.
I’m a bit late with this, but then so are Lego. Didn’t we have all the Lego Batman movie sets months ago? It seems not, with the announcement last week of The Joker Manor (70922), which is a giant 3,444 piece set which will retail for £249.99 in the UK and $269.99 in the USA.
The most exciting thing about it is the roller coaster pieces and track that surround it all, as pictured below. Can we have a proper coaster to go with the Ferris Wheel and Carousel please?
Here’s the Lego press release…
Help Batman, Barbara Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth (in his classic Batsuit) and Nightwing regain control of the jokerized Wayne Manor with this massive THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE set.
The Joker Manor is packed with iconic details from the movie and cool functions, including a rollercoaster encircling the whole building, a huge buildable The Joker head with trapdoor and slide, punching boxing gloves, a rocking ‘The Joker’ sign and rotating ‘big eye’ tower.
The interior includes a cinema room with a romantic DVD element, kitchen with buildable microwave plus lobster and lemon-slice decorated tile elements, living room with a buildable grand piano, fireplace and bust, swimming pool room, and a music studio with guitar element and buildable mixing desk and loudspeakers.
Build this magnificent manor and then recreate your favorite scenes from the movie with 10 included minifigures.
- Includes 10 minifigures: The Joker, Batman, Barbara Gordon, Harley Quinn, Nightwing, Alfred Pennyworth Classic Batsuit, Disco Batman, Disco The Joker, Disco Batgirl and Disco Robin.
- Features a grand entrance flanked by 2 buildable bombs with translucent spark-style elements, 2-level and 3-level towers with turrets and flag elements on top, a rollercoaster track and train with 3 cars (each with a minifigure seat), rotating ‘big eye’ tower with lever-operated iris to ‘look’ up and down, huge buildable The Joker head with trapdoor and slide, rocking ‘The Joker’ sign, ‘Ha! Ha!’ sign, 2 wheel-operated punching boxing gloves, plus many multicolored, translucent light-style decorative elements.
- Activate the trapdoor to send a minifigure tumbling from the top of the The Joker head, down the slide and out through the mouth.
- Interior includes an entrance hall with 4 plastic, bendy ‘mirror’ elements; living room with a buildable grand piano and stool, bust, and fireplace with translucent-red fire-style elements; cinema room with a screen, minifigure seat and assorted elements including a romantic DVD; kitchen with cup, pot and pan elements, and a buildable microwave with lobster, lemon and plate elements inside; music studio with a buildable mixing desk and loudspeakers, seat and a guitar element; swimming pool room with translucent-blue water-style elements; and an attic with 2 buildable boxes and a rat figure.
- Weapons include Batman’s Batarang, Barbara Gordon’s revolver and Harley Quinn’s bat.
- Disco Batman, Disco The Joker, Disco Batgirl and Disco Robin minifigures are new!
- Recreate and reimagine memorable scenes from THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE.
- The Joker Manor measures over 21” (55cm) high, 25” (66cm) wide and 10” (27cm) deep.
- Rollercoaster train measures over 1” (3cm) high, 5” (15cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.